Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NAT external/Public IP

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 12:53:32 -1000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
To: "PCSC Information Services" <info () pcsage biz>; "Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers" <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Cc: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 8:37 AM
Subject: RE: NAT external/Public IP

Hello,
It is stated that, "the main contention is that private addresses are
generally not considered routable on the public internet. I wouldn't hazard that
the RFC is always strictly followed as there have been cases where I've seen
private addresses being used (routed across a public interface)"

The issues is Should Not be Routed. First, they will not be blocked as a source on most routers, Next, it is amazing how often they are routed. I remember working for an ISP a long while back that was threatened to be disconnected from the Internet if they did not stop routing the 10.x range in their BGP tables (and this was an International ISP).

Further, finding source route paths over the Internet is not difficult. Thus it is possible to route "private" address ranges.

Regards,
Craig Wright GSE-Compliance

Thus it is possible to route "private" address ranges.<<

Craig

I don't understand this at all...can you provide more information?  tracerts?
Thanks,
--Michael