Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure Software Development Checklist

From: Erin Carroll <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 20:17:45 +0000 (UTC)

There are many different SDLC processes out there. RUP, Agile, Extreme, the various DoJ processes... The Wikipedia entry for SDLC is actually useful (!) as a starting point from a process perspective.

Tools-wise there are also some avenues to look into: Mercury, DevInspect/QAInspect from SPI Dynamics (now HP), FxCop, and others.

This is one of those seemingly simple questions with a bazillion correct answers... depending on your particulars :)

Since this is a PCI-driven initiative, talk with your auditors to get their specific requirements and then tailor your SDLC process to meet their requirements while also making sure you don't cause a revolt at the dev level with onerous processes :0

--
Erin Carroll
Moderator, SecurityFocus pen-test list