Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to Test HDD Encryption

From: jfvanmeter () comcast net
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:22:14 +0000

The problem I have with pre-boot is patch management, if you push a patch to a workstation that need to reboot, you
have to wait for someone to log into the pre-boot for the installation to finish. I know some of the FDE you can
define, a number of times that you don't need to have a pre-boot so you can push a patch, the workstation can reboot
and the patch gets applied.

I'm in the process of deploying FDE to 40k workstations/laptops, in addation to support the file base encryption . I
believe the two plus restrict ACLs on the files will add extract layers of security to protection the NPPI/PII data for
my client.

Most of the testing that I've worked on is from a penetration/vulnerability assessment. I don't believe I've cound any
real one tool to test FDE that I know of. If anyone knows of a good tool, or selection of tools that would be create to
hear.

Take Care and Have Fun --John
From: "Samir Pawaskar" <infosecofficer () gmail com>
I am using FDE with Pre Boot Logon and a password access to BIOS.

Samir