Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to Test HDD Encryption

From: jfvanmeter () comcast net
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:35:35 +0000

I recently completed a pen test for a client and discoveried a new directory traversal in a web enable application. The
target for the test was FDE enabled , once the target was booted and the OS mounted I could exploit the directory
traversal to read any file on the system.

After I informed my client of the problem, they asked me to do additional testing, I found if I encrypted the file, and
ran the directory traversal, I could no longer read the file.

So until the ventor patched there software, a mitigating step to lower  the risk was to encrypted the files the client
felt were the greatest risk if someone was to run the exploit.

I believe you need both, FDE to protect the data at rest, and file encryption to protect the data when it is active.

Again just my two shiny centavos, --John

From: Eric White <ewhite () ssc wisc edu>
Right, the same thing can be said for FDE, but FDE doesn't claim to do protect
files after the PC is booted.  I'm just trying to sort out the strengths and
weaknesses of each.  So far I'm not sure that file-based encryption offers the
protection it claims to, or that that protection can't be effectively provided
through other means.

Thanks,

Eric
--