Security Basics mailing list archives

SUMMARY: security tools boot disk

From: "Al Saenz" <asaenz () Found-Tech com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 10:35:55 -0400

Hello List,

I just wanted to say thanks to all the replies.
You all have helped me greatly. Here are some of the responses (below).

For me the best choice was to go with a live CD that has the tools as
being part of the image.
I'm not that experience in making boot cdrom and adding software
packages to the image.

Apparently I didn't know the terminology to do a google search first,
sorry about that.

These two seem very good to start out with:
http://www.networksecuritytoolkit.org/
http://www.knoppix-std.org/

Again thank you all for your generosity in helping me.

Al

========
Here is one site and CD that I have used....Helix
http://www.e-fense.com/helix/

The site lists all of the tools available.

There is also http://www.ubcd4win.com/ if you are going to be diagnosing
Windows systems.

Both are good tools.
----------
I'd recommend BackTrack Linux, (Formally Auditor Linux)
http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html

                 Cheers mate!
                          T.S.
------------
I've found Slax (1) to be a great "live" distro. The base install may
not have what you need, but there modules (2) that will add
functionality.

There is also the BackTrack (3) "live" CD.

1. http://www.slax.org/
2. http://www.slax.org/modules.php
3. http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html
----------
Here are a few...
List of Live CDs (Linux, all types) - This one lists them all.

PHLAK (Pro Hackers Linux Assault Kit)
http://www.phlak.org/
Penguin Sleuth
http://www.linux-forensics.com/
Knoppix-std (Security Tools Distribution
http://www.knoppix-std.org/
L.A.S. (Local Area Security)
http://www.localareasecurity.com/
NST (Network Security Toolkit
http://www.networksecuritytoolkit.org/
----------
Here is a good article on creating your own bootable Linux image:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7233

if you are looking for a live distro that has many security, auditing
and forensics applications preloaded, I would recommend Backtrack
Linux (www.remote-exploit.org) even though you may not need all of the
included tool, I believe this would suit your needs in creating an
image since all the software is already configured. It might also be
worth your while to investigate Pentoo linux which it a more
lightweight distro geared towards pen testing. There are also many
other distributions that have software pre-configured for pen-testing
or auditing.

          -Nate
----------
You could make your own but one already exists with all the
functionality you want.
http://s-t-d.org/

~ stevo
---------