Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure delete files

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 10:53:33 +0200

On 2007-05-25 Adam Pal wrote:
If you have such sensitive data that you need so much accuracy in
deleting it, dont misunderstand me but all i can recommend you is to
burn the data media, so that nothing remains.
I say that because i`ve seen software which claimed to be
military-safe in deleting data, by rewrite with about 20 sequences of
0 and 1 and i also read different comments about restoring data where
it was claimed that you need about 200 or more sequences to be
partialy safe.

That's superstition. I would like to see at least one case where
software has recovered data that was overwritten (even in a single pass
with zeroes).

Sure, when you wipe only files that may leave other options to recover
data from them (rolocated blocks on harddisk, temp files, swap, ...),
but that's a different story.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."