Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure delete files

From: Adam Pal <pal_adam () gmx net>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 20:22:04 +0200

Hello Jax,

If you have such sensitive data that you need so much accuracy in
deleting it, dont misunderstand me but all i can recommend you is to
burn the data media, so that nothing remains.
I say that because i`ve seen software which claimed to be
military-safe in deleting data, by rewrite with about 20 sequences of
0 and 1 and i also read different comments about restoring data where
it was claimed that you need about 200 or more sequences to be
partialy safe.
Considering those oppinions and the physical fact that magnetism is an
integral which is endless, i`d say that there is no way to delete
files military-safe while keep the medium intact.

--
Best regards,
 Adam Pal

<==============Original message text===============