Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure deletion on Mac OS X

From: Noah <focushacks () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 09:13:53 -0500

As has been mentioned, Safari's private browsing feature is good.
Using "Reset Safari" will toast all cookies and history.  It will
leave bookmarks and the homepage intact, if I recall correctly.  I
don't personally do any browsing that I'd need to cover the tracks of,
so YMMV.

srm(1) from the OS X command line interface, by default, uses the
35-pass Gutmann algo.  It then renames the file to something bizarre
before unlinking it.

srm is included with OS X, but it's maintaned at http://srm.sourceforge.net/