Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall load balacing switches

From: Karsten Iwen <newsletter () saviya de>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:19:38 +0200

>I think you can use Cisco Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP) on multi
>layer switches for load balancing easily. It should work on 6500 series
>easily.

That's not the way GLBP works. GLBP is used to load-balance traffic *to* a series of Catalyst 6k5 (or IOS-router) and not to balance traffic on *one* 6k5. Of course you could put one Catalyst in front of each firewall ... ;-) You find a description of GLBP here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008042fb97.html

IOS has also a build-in load-balancing feature named SLB, but I'm pretty sure it won't work with half a million sessions (if it does, please correct me).
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca75d.html

regards, Karsten Iwen
--
Karsten Iwen
Network- and Security-Consultant/Trainer

CISSP, CCIE#14602 (Security)
CCSI, CCSP, CCIP, CCNP, CCDP