Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Home laptops on a corporate network

From: mayanktrivedi () vsnl net
Date: 14 May 2007 13:31:14 -0000

Hi Adam,

I guess I am stepping in a bit too late, but then I read through the replies and landed on your question.

What I would suggest is to use a document control software like Documentum or something that would provide you the
facility to control the document sharing and such other stuff.  You can actually control the access levels for various
documents right from the basic availability to read to final printing and copying on to the desktop/laptop.

Also, you might consider deploying a NAC device between the core network and the wireless network for the Personal
Laptops that are being allowed.  Though in your post you yourself have identified it to be an expensive element.

So, a very simple to implement and manage Document Control Tool like Documentum would be the best choice in this case.

Regards

Mayank

PS - I am somehow not convinced with the management decision to allow personal Laptops to connect to company network.
My personal Take would have been to conduct a detailed risk assessment on this side and then deploy controls like - NAC
device, user profiles, and similar other controls which would neutralize the negative impact emanating from the usage
of personal laptop in the corporate environment.