Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Home laptops on a corporate network

From: Shawn <swarzkopf () legolas sinnerz us>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:49:52 -0400 (EDT)

Wouldn't a regular vpn just open for all kinds of badware they have on
their home computer? And if you issue a work computer for them it will
be used as their normal computer and properly be as infected as their
home computer anyways.

No.

At least not if your company properly manages it's laptops...our user's privileges are extremely, extremely restricted through group policy/local security settings. They can't web browse. They can't install any software/apps. They can't modify any system settings. They are not at all used in the same manner that the user's "normal" computers are. They do not pose nearly the same risk that the user's "normal" computers do.

Furthermore, users are required to bring their laptops into the office on a regular basis for virus scanning/WSUS patching.

Obviously, you can tailor your own company's group policy to suite your own specific needs.

Again, I don't think comparing company managed equipment to home equipment is a fair comparison at all if the company exercises any decent means of control.