Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISSP Question

From: "April Carson" <ACarson () HNTB com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 08:07:07 -0500

Fair enough. Now to change this thread in a little different direction.
I received the enclosed notification of a certification that combines
the Help Desk Institute and Microsoft. My background being in call
centers and support for many years I find this interesting. Has anyone
any thoughts on this and possibly its value in the Help Desk arena?

HDI(r) Recognized in Microsoft's New Generation Certification

COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO. - May 8, 2007 - HDI, (http://www.thinkhdi.com)
the world's largest membership association for IT service and support
professionals and the premier certification body for the industry, today
announced an agreement with Microsoft Corp. that recognizes HDI Support
Center Analyst Certification along with Microsoft Certified IT
Professional (MCITP) Certification as a new generation of Microsoft
certification.

Microsoft's New Generation Certification program for IT service and
support professionals focuses on both technical expertise in designing,
developing, implementing and supporting solutions with Microsoft
products, as well as the customer service and IT service management
skills including business processes, trouble shooting and communication
that are core elements of HDI Certification. IT service and support
professionals who currently possess HDI Support Center Analyst are
eligible to apply for Microsoft's New Generation Certification.

"The evolving support industry demands that IT service and support
professionals be not only technically qualified to solve problems, but
also have the customer service and IT service management skills
necessary to satisfy the customer. Microsoft recognizes that delivering
high quality service and support requires more than just technical
abilities and understanding. Customer service and IT service management
skills are also vital," said Bill Wall, director of certification,
Microsoft. "Selecting a certification to meet these requirements was
done with careful consideration. In HDI we chose a recognized global
industry leader that was focused on service management skills and that
was technology neutral. HDI Certification combined with the MCITP
Certification meets the needs of the support industry."

"We are very pleased to have participated in this effort with Microsoft,
a worldwide leader in IT software, services and solutions," said Ron
Muns, founder and CEO, HDI. "HDI and Microsoft have determined the
essential skills for well-rounded IT service and support staff and has
delineated the optimal certification career path for these
professionals. This new certification is in part the result of that
collaboration. Microsoft's New Generation Certification demonstrates
that the support industry is maturing and that IT support professionals
need to have both technical skills and customer service skills. This new
certification will help to further strengthen the profession."

For more information, visit - http://www.thinkhdi.com/microsoft