Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to find out a list of available ftp servers on LAN

From: Turbo <sandeep_kr () students iiit net>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 15:18:41 +0530 (IST)

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Steven wrote:

Well a few things come to mind.

1) Are you running the scan as root?  If not it will default to the -sT
(TCP Connect()) option.  If you are then it defaults ton -sSS (TCP SYN
stealth).  Running it as a stealth scan would most likely be quicker.
I don't have root privileges :(

2) There is the -T flag which you can specify timing.  You could try
Aggressive or Insane.  These would be the flags -T4 or -T5 respectively.
I tried them with very slight performance gain. It took 5 mins with -T5. In fact I have given my own timing parameters and brought it down to 4 mins. But there is one more doubt.. there is a huge performance gain if I remove the option -P0. It takes just 1.5 minutes. But it fails to detect around 10% of the ftp servers. Any idea how to tackle this?

Steven
securityzone.org

I am using following command :-
nmap -n -P0 -p 21 -oG ftpLog.gnmap -iL IPs.txt
Are their other better options? or improvements to above command?
It takes around 7 mins to scan a list of 8960 IPs. Its ok, but I am still
looking for faster options.

--
I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.
Home Page : http://students.iiit.ac.in/~sandeep_kr