Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FAX a virus - Rhetorical and logical Fallacies

From: "Steven Hess" <shess () myrapidsys com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:09:11 -0500

Pardon me for intruding - I may be able to contribute some information.

This is not a zero day vulnerability - just a possible approach.

If you assume that the receiver is a computer fax system, like Symantec's
WinFax running on Windows, there is a possible opening.

I have set up fax servers for paperless fax and workgroup distribution in my
workplace. The components are a server with a fax modem, the Windows OS, and
the WinFax application.

First, a fax transmission uses a handshake, and agrees on a data rate. The
application takes over. The next thing sent is the Huffman encoding table
for the message. Then the numerical entries of the Huffman table, that
represent the image data of the fax.

My point is that buffer overflow exploits, that were not caught by testing
the validity of the data, abound. Whether this is possible, depends on the
bounds checking of the application, and the vulnerability of the OS.

Just a thought.

Steven Hess