Security Basics mailing list archives

FAX a virus - Rhetorical and logical Fallacies

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 20:27:32 +1100

Hi,

First, the attacks stating that I am a lawyer, that I am ranting etc, are rhetorical fallacies of the order "Ad
hominem". This is an attack on the character of a person rather than their opinions or arguments. This does nothing to
prove a case or an opinion.

A few "Red Herrings" - or diversionary tactics that avoids the key issues, often by avoiding opposing arguments rather
than addressing them - have also been put in. Such as stating that Faxes can use VoIP. VoIP is invisible from the
purpose of a fax based attack and thus irrelevant.

The arguments that there must be some attack over fax because email has become a means of attacking are "Begging the
Claim". This is where the conclusion you should prove is validated within the claim.

The few emails I have received stating that the idea must be wrong as I am not technical enough (which also mis a
fallacy) is a "Genetic Fallacy". This is a conclusion is based on an argument that the origins of a person, idea,
institute, or theory determine its character, nature, or worth.

The "Circular Arguments" or restating the argument rather than actually proving it are not even close to finishing.

The "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy, that a conclusion that assumes that if 'A' occurred after 'B' then 'B' must
have caused 'A.' has been made.

In assuming that there must be some attack against a fax server as there is an image based attack, fuzzing on some
Windows systems is a "Hasty Generalization".  This is a conclusion based on insufficient or biased evidence.

Together they make a "Slippery slope". This is the logically fallacy where a conclusion based on the premise that if A
happens, then eventually through a series of small steps, through B, C,..., X, Y, Z will happen, too, basically
equating A and Z.

I think that the "Ad populum" (an emotional appeal that speaks to positive/negative; such as patriotism, religion,
democracy) logical fallacy has not been used as yet? If it was I missed it, sorry.

These are common errors in reasoning, but they do nothing to prove anything. In fact they make your argument weaker.

I reiterate. Please prove that a fax system can transmit a virus, trojan or ANY of YOUR choice of malware through the
sending/receiving process. I will happily recant - if and when you prove me wrong. Until then, and if it is not proven,
the case is that it is NOT possible.

Null Hypothesis (Ho): It is not possible to send malware using a fax in ANY event, ever. No way, no chance, never.
(make this easier for you?)

Alternate Hypothesis (Ha): It is possible to send malware using a fax service (any one of any that may exist - just one
instance.

Scientific reasoning states that the null hypothesis stands until and unless you can prove otherwise. No arguments that
it is likely, that it is similar to something on a web server etc. Proof. Please even supply a valid thought experiment
to test a logical possibility - even a REALLY remote one

Regards,

Craig

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

DISCLAIMER
The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you
must not use or disclose the information. If you have received this email in error, please inform us promptly by reply
email or by telephoning +61 2 9286 5555. Please delete the email and destroy any printed copy.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. You may not rely on this message as advice
unless it has been electronically signed by a Partner of BDO or it is subsequently confirmed by letter or fax signed by
a Partner of BDO.

BDO accepts no liability for any damage caused by this email or its attachments due to viruses, interference,
interception, corruption or unauthorised access.