Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FAX a virus

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 05:25:08 +1100

Wrong Daniel,

Crying wolf and leading others to exaggerate risk is one of the biggest bugbears in the industry. It takes focus from
the true issues and is a dead weight loss economically.

Information technology is a science and engineering field. My asserted view of relative positivism is the current
leading philosophy of science and the reason that you are reading this email.

The point of risk analysis is that you have to have a threat that can exploit a vulnerability and lead to an impact.
Theory is low risk at best.

Stating that there is a possibility of an attack is crying wolf. The person asking the question wanted to have an idea
of risk. They wanted validly sought an answer from the list as to the risk of a system.

However, rather than stating to this person that the risk is low at best. That there is no known or considered attack
in the given situation; we start to reply about investigating possibilities. We start talking about Trojans over the
fax input. This is crying wolf and this is exaggerating the risk.

Regards,

Craig