Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: RDP Security

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 15:42:43 -0500

That referenced KB article does not reflect the new RDP 6.0 client. It
still mentions the older 5.2 client. Interestingly, the new server
authentication features of 6.0 don't work with pre-Vista clients and
servers, but as I stated in my previous email, existing RDP MitM attacks
don't appear to work anyway with the 6.0 client (at least in my
testing). Not sure why, could be something slightly different in the
protocol confounding current existing tools (like Cain & Able), or could
be a real cryptographic protection mechanism. But for now the end result
is the same.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, Senior Security Consultant
*Microsoft Application Consulting and Engineering (ACE) Services
*http://blogs.msdn.com/ace_team/default.aspx
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger () banneretcs com or rogrim () microsoft com