Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: carbonite

From: "Brad Bendily" <bendily () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:11:58 -0500

On 6/21/07, fm16923 () bellsouth net <fm16923 () bellsouth net> wrote:
I have some corporate users that are asking for consent to use carbonite (carbonite.com) for maintaining backups of files etc. XM has
been advertising this as a consumer tool for business continuity/disaster recovery etc. I have not seen or heard any pro's or
cons about their security set up or if it's actually hardened to where it's a realistic alternative to traditional storage.

This is a great idea. Except for one major problem. All of your data
is sitting on someone else's servers. I have been, for a while,
looking for tool that is this simple to use, but will store the data
on my servers at my data center for my employees. I have used Novell's
iFolder product before. It is a great product, and even better since
they open sourced it. But the open source version isn't ready for
prime time yet.

Does anyone know of any other similar tool? I'm looking for some kind
of workstation to server synchronization product. I'm not interested
in the Microsoft offline folders junk, i'd rather a tool that's smart
enough to copy folders/files I pick and only copy things that change,
and that can work over the internet because this will be on laptops
that remote sales people have.

Ideas?

Thanks
Brad B.