Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: All-in-one Spam/Virus Solution

From: "Bryan S. Sampsel" <bsampsel () libertyactivist org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:31:43 -0600 (MDT)

What's your budget?  And are you looking at running a separate suite for
workstations/servers from messaging?  Messaging is only one avenue of
infection.

For messaging: if you have a good budget, consider Secure Computing's
IronMail appliance.  My organization gets several hundred thousand
messages a day and the things take it and keep grinning.  Even better,
they tie into Active Directory and offload mail processing.  This is an
excellent supplement to Grey Listing.  If you do not have that kind of
budget, go with PostFix, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, and AmavisD-New.  You get
an excellent mail boundary device at that point.  ClamAV has some of the
best detection rates in the industry right now.  PostFix handles
GreyListing, which Exchange cannot (last I heard) do.

For the rest, pick one Antivirus solution for your servers and another for
your workstations.  Each one has different strengths and weaknesses.

Sincerely,

Bryan S. Sampsel
LibertyActivist.org