Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: All-in-one Spam/Virus Solution

From: Chad Perrin <perrin () apotheon com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:48:31 -0600

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 01:43:00PM +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
Hi Mike,

Mike Preslicka wrote:
Hey everyone,
    My company is the process of looking for a new all-in-one
spam/virus solution for our servers and workstations.  Along with those
we want something for exchange as well.  We're currently using Trend
Micro's Client Server Messaging Suite.  The reason we want to replace
this product is: 1) there technical support is horrible and seems like
the people I talk to in tech support know nothing about their product,
and 2) Every time an update is made, some useful feature has been
removed.  So we're looking for an alternative solution.  In reality an
all-in-one type solution would be preferred, but separate solutions for
workstations, servers, and email would be considered as well.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!  Thank you for your
time and help!

I'd suggest running your email thru a Postfix mailserver with ClamAv and
SpamAssassin active. Keep your email store as your exchange box and then
install AVG free on the desktops to automatically update from your proxy
server. This will initially need someone to decide what email is spam
and what not so that SpamAssassin can learn. Keep a daily check on it
and soon you should have SpamAssasin catching all the spam and likewise
ClamAv catching the viruses. Whatever they don't catch the AVG product
on the desktop will. I believe that the paid version of AVG offers a
spam detection engine as well so it might be a good idea to add this
onto your workstations.

Technically, using the free version of AVG on desktops in a business
network is a violation of license terms.  If you want to use AVG (which
is an excellent desktop antivirus solution), you should look into the
paid version of the software.

ClamWin is one of the best virus scanners available, and may also be
worth looking into for that reason (as well as being open source
software).  On the downside, ClamWin does not provide "realtime"
scanning.

--
John W. Russell: "People point. Sometimes that's just easier. They also use
words. Sometimes that's just easier. For the same reasons that pointing has