Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Bank Exploit

From: gjgowey () tmo blackberry net
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:30:13 +0000

My thoughts are that it would be hard to prove breach of contract if the data provided was totally unrelated to the
company that you were contracted by and you never mention their name nor hinted at who they were.  I'm sort of in a
similar situation where I was the senior software engineer of an audit team and had to examine the source code of a
product.  The audit was asked for by two different companies due to the financial investment they were going to make in
the company providing the product.

Now I provide on my resume the name of the company that I auditted, but I list the investing companies as 'unlisted
companies due to confidentiality'.  So long as I don't disclose my findings or otherwise influence opinions of the
named company (such as by mentioning on whose behalf the audit was requested by) none of the parties to the audit can
cite disclosure of confidential information or that I altered the financial viability of any of the companies.

Imho, data gathered not explicitly restricted by NDA nor able to affect the parties involved in the contract in any
way, shape, or form can not be laid claim to by the parties (not that if they see a potential monetary gain from that
data that they will try to anyway under possible threat of legal action).  If you want to protect yourself further do
not bill the client during the time which the data of concern was found to completely insulate yourself from them
saying something like "but we paid for that data."

Geoff

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.