Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SORBS

From: "Devin Rambo" <drambo () vediorps com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:42:17 -0500

There are three ways I can think of that you can deal with the inevitable
spam issue.

First, there are email filtering services that protect you by washing mail
before it reaches your network. MessageLabs is one of these, but shop around
- there are many companies out there that provide this service.

Second, you can implement an appliance at your perimeter to do the
filtering, such as something from Barracuda. I've worked with these and they
do the job quite well in my experience, although I've worked with them in
small environments and couldn't say how well they do in larger networks.

Third, you can implement software on your server(s) to do the filtering,
such as GFI MailEssentials. You also can set up a dedicated server to do
this, with similar functionality to the second option.

Which solution is right for you depends on your budget, your needs, and the
particulars of your environment. The first option is probably the most
expensive in the long run, since you'll be paying a monthly fee per mailbox
filtered. On the other hand, the spam never even reaches your network so you
save some bandwidth. The third option tends to be cheaper to implement, but
it also requires resources on your server for the filtering. On a single
server with 100 mailboxes, it's probably no bog deal, but in a larger
environment might be more difficult to manage.

Either way, there are lots of options to choose from aside from shutting up
and eating your spam. :)

Devin