Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Flash Memory Wiping

From: Atom Smasher <atom () smasher org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:34:54 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, chandlg () hotmail com wrote:

I have used an older version of “Eraser” with great success on various types of media. I will try the new version tonight.

"Eraser is a secure data removal tool for Windows. It completely removes sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns. "
=====================

my only reservation about those types of data removal tools is that they make several writes to the device. flash drives can only be written to a limited number of times before they die. OTOH, most flash drives will die after one good hit with a hammer.

as always, it depends on your threat model... use what you think is best under the circumstances... delete (unlink) the files; overwrite them once; overwrite them N times; smash the device with a hammer; bury it next to jimmy hoffa; incinerate the drive and spread the ashes to all four corners of the world. it all depends on your threat model (and your budget for replacing drives).

--
        ...atom

 ________________________
 http://atom.smasher.org/
 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

        "You don't get everything you want. A dictatorship would
         be a lot easier."
                -- George "dubya" Bush, describing what it's like
                to be governor of Texas. (Governing Magazine 7/98)

        "If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot
         easier, just so long as I'm the dictator."
                -- George "dubya" Bush
                 http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0012/18/nd.01.html
                18 Dec 2000 CNN.com

        "A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's
         no question about it."
                George "dubya" Bush, 27 Jul 2001 Associated Press