Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: remote access to server

From: vlad <vlad () usanotebook com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:38:07 +0000

Jonathan Askew JBASKEW wrote:
What is the industry standard or best practice in setting up remote access
to a 2003 server? What are the security implications associated with
setting up remote access? I am looking for a solution that would preferably
not require the purchase of any hardware and would allow me to perform
basic administrative tasks such as setting up new users, changing
permissions, etc. Sorry if this is double posted as I am having some
trouble with my email.

Thanks,
Blake

The way i have been setting up our Windows 2003 boxes have been with remote desktop, but filtered by the windows firewall to only allow our network subnet.

Go into the Windows firewall settings>Exceptions tab>Make sure Remote desktop is checked then click Edit, and click on "Change Scope" here you can define 1 IP, or a subnet.

The firewall settings may not be needed, Remote Desktop seems secure, but you never know. I think best solution is VPN, because this will allow you to access any network resource from any properly authenticated machine.

-Vlad