Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Current Index of SANS GSEC Materials?

From: Brad Andrews <andrews () rbacomm com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:12:07 -0600

Quoting The Security Community <thesecuritycommunity () gmail com>:

Sorry to dig up this old thread.

I'm just curious as to how the test went. Did you finally roll your own index?

I made an Excel list of the titles, books and page numbers. I also added a couple of extra entires for some terms, but I was not as exhaustive as I could have been. I used the search feature in Excel a lot to find terms in the titles that were not at the beginning.

I would have liked to have indexed more terms, as I had a hard time finding a few things. Some of those did come after using my own experience, but I can vouch that a solid index is very helpful.

I plan on writing a short perl script (or such) to make a real index for any future tests. It will be almost a requirement if no electronic tools are allowed, since my current method only allows me to sort my list by the first word in the slide title. (All future GIAC tests are supposed to be proctored and not allow electronic devices.)

I did pass with scores of 85 & 91, so I think I did well.  :)

I am not sure how much learning the indexing really added. Even a good index requires some experience or additional knowledge in many cases to know how to interpret things and answer correctly, though it certainly makes it a lot easier.

I am now looking at taking the GPCI test (which I signed up for), which is a bit more of a challenge since I didn't take the course and no practice tests are provided. I am hoping that my extensive experience with PCI, along possibly with the GSEC materials I have will help me pass that too. You can't index something you don't have (in that case). :)

Brad