Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pen test

From: "Serg B" <sergeslists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:06:34 +1100

To perform an ethical-hack you need a disclaimer form clearly
outlining what you are going to do and what you are not going to do.
For example, will you be held liable if your test crashes a server and
as a result costs a web hosting company thousands of dollars in lost
revenue during the down-time (depending on the size of the company
damage can be calculated in thousands of dollars per minute)? You need
a very detailed disclaimer form outlining what is and is not in scope,
techniques used and an outline of risk to the company. If you "just"
have a go you may get away with it or you may be sharing a studio
apartment in a federal "holiday reserve" with some hairy guy, for a
very long time - your choice.

Also keep in mind that some companies will not want to be audited by
untrusted source, what assurance do they have that you will not
publish your findings on the Internet, hand them over to the
competitors or sell personal data acquired during the test?

   Serg