Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pen test

From: Ken.Carty () RSCrental com
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:26:19 -0600

Well said!

Ken

             "Michael R.
             Martinez"
             <mike@security-bo                                          To
             unce.com>                 "Worrell, Brian"
             Sent by:                  <BWorrell () isdh IN gov>, "Marty
             listbounce@securi         Resnick" <marty () techmaking com>,
             tyfocus.com               listbounce () securityfocus com,
                                       "security-basics"
                                       <security-basics () securityfocus com>
             12/12/2007 08:12                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: pen test
             Please respond to
             mike@security-bou
                  nce.com

Brian,

This whole question has evolved into something completely different, you
asked a question here on the list, we tried to give you some pointers and
now some bizar reference to and nist doc and "the feds" have changed things
in recent years.

When you make a reference to the NIST or "The Feds" please provide
validation to your statements so we can further refernce your resources. If
you are going to send me a document 178 pages long refernce the page to
support your argument.
You are not providing any REAL question anymore. Your question was could
you pen test your host, I could have said ask them, but instead provided
many options and answers and now you try to evolve the original question
into something completely different. Are you inadvertantly trying to seem
robust to this list? To further that statement are you trying to use this
list as a form of marketing for your partially completed site? Do you plan
on "pen-testing" the websites that you install and configure? That's wrong
already?

You then flip this whole thread around by providing advice to me, which
furthers by point of you marketing yourself, when the initial question was
posed by you. I am well aware of many things and your simple question was
answered, you now throw risk assessment into the mix, tattered with nist
documentation that is for IT infrastructure and has a nothing to do with
your question, "can I pen-test my hosting provider". Does NIST have a
document for pen-testing your hosting provider, if so read it it will
probably answer your questions, if not take the lists advice and move on
smartly.

And last but not least, your hosting provider is in Geismar, Louisiana and
not the UK, so when you leave a link make sure it is a reference to the
United States, laws are different.

I apologize if this sounds abrasive, but your question seems loaded. Here
is the number to your hosting provider call them and ask them, or asl
theplanet.com (second number) since they own the servers.

1-800-828-9231
1-866-325-0045

Michael R. Martinez
TF: 800-987-7307