Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Checkpoint Firewall denying Explicit SSL

From: "bart knippenberg" <bartknippenberg () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:25:16 +0100

Hello Rob,

Maybe this can help:

Solution ID: sk20837

Product: VPN-1 Pro (VPN-1/FW-1)
Version: NG AI
Last Modified: 08-Aug-2006
Solution
FireWall-1 allows data in FTP data connections to flow only in one
direction. This will cause connectivity problems for FTP
implementations that transfer data in both directions, for example an
FTP implementation that uses SSL for data connections ( requires an
exchange of encryption parameters).

To allow bi-directional flow of data in FTP data connections, use
service "ftp-bidir" instead of "ftp" in all relevant rules. Install
policy after changing the rules to make the change effective.

Maybe you can try to make your own service and play around with the
different FTP options?

Best regards

Bart Knippenberg