Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Multi-Factor Authentication Concern

From: "Dutton, Larry" <Larry.Dutton () redstone co uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 18:08:20 +0100

To me it's obvious and I agree with you - multi factor authentication
requires a SINGLE person to provide multiple identification, security
access systems are all keyed around the user object, you assign
resources (pins, badges, bio-data) to the user for THEM to access - if
they only provide one credential then they won't get in unless you have
multiple methods and allow any:

        Jim badges in = "Hello Jim, please scan retina"
        Mike scans his retina = "you're not Jim! - no entry"
        Sally enters a her PIN = "Hello, please scan retina"

Multi-factor authentication is an AND statement, not an OR, unless you
provide three methods and except only one..
That's my take on it!

Larry