Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Multi-Factor Authentication Concern

From: "Uber Wannabe" <nucleargeekdown () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:45:42 -0500

Is it not enough that everything you read (including the Wikipedia page)
about multi-factor authentication refers to "the user" or "the originator"?

The purpose of multi-factor authentication is to authenticate a single user
through multiple authentication methods.  Same with two-factor
authentication.

Authenticating multiple users based on differing, or even similar,
authentication criteria to secure something valuable is not multi-factor
authentication.  There are multiple authentication methods, but they are not
authenticating a single user.  Furthermore, if it was multi-factor
authentication, then every user would have to authenticate using ALL OF THE
SAME implemented authentication methods, not using only some.

The practice of having multiple users authenticate to satisfy security
requirements would have to come under another term and, as far as the
argument is concerned, this other term really does not matter.  Logic,
reasoning, and reading the specifics of multi-factor authentication will
suffice here.

-- N/A