Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Monitoring of Admin logins

From: "Jim Hanlon" <JHanlon () jchci com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:42:59 -0500

We use a commercial product called EventTracker by Prism Microsystems
for managing our account auditing.  The product allows us to set alerts
on user ID activity whether it is over the network (using active
directory) or interactive login on a local machine and/or even Syslog
events.

We are then able to correlate all of the activity the user account was
used for over any period of time in question.

On another note; it is always better to disallow the use of any account
that does not provide you with non-repudiation for the use of an
account.  The use of the Administrator account by more than one person
voids your ability to tie the account to a person.  This is particularly
troublesome especially if you have a policy that holds the user
accountable for any activity that is done with the use of their account.
In a way you would be making your policy unenforceable.

Jim

Phone     US (586) 435-6231
Fax       US (586) 435-6245
Email:    Jhanlon () JCHCI com
Website:  http://www.JCHCI.com

Enterprise Security at the Speed of Business