Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Monitoring of Admin logins

From: "Scott Ramsdell" <Scott.Ramsdell () cellnet com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:17:25 -0400

Sohail,

You may want to monitor logon/logoff events on your domain controller.

VB scripting would allow you to send an email when a particular event
occurs.

From your post, I cannot tell if you have several users who share the
same admin account because you say they use "the admin account".  From
the rest of your post, it appears they use individual accounts with
admin privs.

If they use individual accounts, in the logon event, you would want to
read the type (type 3 is over the network), and then read the details.
The details will include username and workstation.

You could then send yourself an email with the type and details.

This solution would run as a VB script somewhere in your domain.

Alternatively, simply assign a GPO to the admins which calls a login
script.  The login script would then be a VB script that emails you the
username and workstation (or IP).

Kind Regards,

Scott Ramsdell
CISSP, CCNA, MCSE