Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Dsniff not sniffing properly

From: "Jason Ross" <algorythm () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:44:15 -0400

On 4/18/07, Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon () googlemail com> wrote:
I've used dsniff remotely with mitm but this time it was not working
so I tested it locally and found that dsniff was just not sniffing
stuff even on the local interface.

Have you checked to see if any other capture programs work (tcpdump,
tshark, etc.)? That could perhaps narrow it down to "something funky in
general"  vs. "something wrong with dsniff".

If none of these work, I'd suggest verifying that packet capture
is compiled in to the kernel you're using on the gentoo host or some
similar thing.

There is only 1 NIC, eth0, so it can't even be listening on the
wrong interface.

Well, there's also the loopback interface... ;-)

--
jason