Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Dsniff not sniffing properly

From: Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon () googlemail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:58:06 +0100

yes I am aware of all this, the question is not how to do man in the middle attacks but rather if anyone can think of a reason why dsniff isn't picking up the traffic going out of the interface. I only have 1 network card in this workstation so it must be going across the same interface, but nothing is showing.

-h

Hari Sekhon

Zhihao wrote:
If you can sniff from a local machine without entering promiscuous mode it
means u r sniffing on the interface all traffic is entering and leaving,
hence u will have no problems sniffing at all (local machine)

If you are trying to sniff in a switched environment, ettercap is probably a
better choice. It will allow u to poison the arp caches and execute a
man-in-the-middle attack, capturing all traffic flowing through.

Alternatively...u might wanna consider using a tool like macof. It comes
with the dsniff package. Basically by using macof, u will flood the switch
with arp replies, putting the switch into fail-open mode. It will then send
traffic to every port, including the port where the sniffing interface is
connected to, enabling u to sniff the passwords as well.