Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: "Ken Kousky" <kkousky () ip3inc com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:43:45 -0400

But we're missing the policy implications that I tried to introduce. If you
establish obscurity as a control you must undertake overt actions to protect
obscurity. It is these very actions that prevent adequate vetting and review
of the control and thus allow weak or even corrupt practices to infiltrate
your control portfolio. Please review the use of National Security Letters
by the FBI and the corrupting impact of the binding gag order claimed
necessary to protect the security control. Obscurity frequently corrupts and
should be seen as a control of last resort and not part of in depth
portfolio.

KWK