Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Managing Firewalls

From: "Rajeev Gupta" <rgup14 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 07:28:15 -0400

At a minimum, customers would like to see a mix of the following:

1. View their policy in read-only
2. View live logging of their traffic - if not 'live', they would ask
for historical log files or reporting based on these logs analysis
3. Maintaining certain naming conventions for their networks/objects
which needs to be resolved based on ISP naming conventions.
4. Monitoring of the firewall/VPN devices for any hw failures/CPU
spikes or various fw processes by ISP
5. Traffic analysis and reports in various categories - such as 'the
top 10 services being used', trend-analysis to assess and scale up
hw/software.
6. They would like to see effective 'reprovisioning/replacements'
policies in view of any hw/os/fw failure.

These are based on real experience from ISP level and may serve a
starting point for you - very raw list but hope it helps.

Rajeev