Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Webserver on a DMZ still needed?

From: "Robert D. Holtz - Lists" <robert.d.holtz () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:17:30 -0500

Your suggestion of placing the server behind the firewall and opening up SSH
and SMTP is ideal.  We used static NAT mappings to make the OWA visible to
the outside world.

I did this exact setup for a charity and it worked fine.

As for the front end recommendation this does add some complexity but if the
charity is a 501(c) they can get MS licenses for pennies on the dollar.

Another Windows and an Exchange server license were < $50.00 from what I
recall.

I would still place the front end box behind a firewall too.