Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Webserver on a DMZ still needed?

From: "MandommGmail" <mandomm () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 23:48:15 +0800

Normal networks are divided into LAN and DMZ.

Those stuff that you want the Internet to access, we normally put in DMZ, so that in the event that a server is hacked, only the particular network is exposed.

There are a few reasons why you want to put exchange on DMZ.
1) You want it public, maybe to use its webmail?
2) Even if you put Exchange on DMZ, you can still use the server as domain controller. Maybe some NAT or some firewall changes but I do not see any problem with that.

Anymore? I do not know. But I do not see any problem with shifting it to DMZ.

Alex

The reason
----- Original Message ----- From: "Davie Elliott - Eluse" <delliott () eluse co uk>