Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: nmap -sS SYN-SCAN does not find all open Ports?

From: bwagrocki () ficom de
Date: 22 Sep 2006 07:16:54 -0000

Hello,

thanks for Your answer.

So here are some more information:

I'am trying to scan the firewall (Watchguard X700) of my company from home for securityreasons. So I know which ports
are open, because I'am administering the firewall.

I use the BackTrack 3.0 (remote-exploit.org) live linux cd. This is based on slackware. Kernel 2.6.156. with Nmap 4.03.

On the Watchguard X700 all intrusion prevention features are disabled. So "Block SYN Flod Attacks" is also disabled.
The firewall is not blocking me because I can do normal Connect() scans after a SYN-Scan and with the Connect() scan
the open ports 80 and 443 are correctly found.

Maybe VM-Ware (Windows) is the reason? I've run BackTrack in a vm (direckt access to nic) under Windows. What I will
try this evening is to boot the notebook directly with  the BackTrack-CD and connecting directly with my ISP. Then
performing a SYN-Scan again. Maybe then I will get better results.

I will then post my result here.