Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: The VA Stolen Laptop - Lessons Learned

From: intel96 <intel96 () bellsouth net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:14:44 -0400

I just meet with a company in Washington, DC with a company from Canada
that has developed a hardware-based encryption module for computer
systems.  They are a start-up but have hooks into some of the laptop
manufactures, which plan to offer the device to customers as a option.
I have not tested the equipment,, but plan too soon.  The device uses
AES-256 or 3-DES.  It also creates a mirror of the drive, which can be
used for failover operations.    There is even a self-destruction piece
being added.

Saqib Ali wrote:
Clement,

I just checked the True Crypt's website and it says that it only
supports partition but NOT the whole disc encryption. With whole disc
encryption everything including the OS is encrypted regardless of the
partition layout.