Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: The VA Stolen Laptop - Lessons Learned

From: "Isaac Van Name" <ivanname () southerlandsleep com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 08:13:59 -0500

As always, I am glad to receive input on my opinions stated here as I use
them to better myself and my pursuit of knowledge.  That being said, I think
there was a bit of a misunderstanding between my post and yours, and I would
like to address that now.

If the laptop is stolen, and off the network when you disable the
account, how the heck do you think the fact the account has been
disabled reaches the laptop?

Let me put this in simpler terms... It makes a lot more sense when I simply
say something like:  "Sensitive data such as that should not be present on
the laptop itself."  Then, statements such as disabling the network account
make a lot more sense when data is housed on the "work" network and NTFS
file rights and encryption are applied.  After all, what point is there to
put sensitive data such as that natively on the laptop?  Will that person
need to work on the information in a location where he has no internet
access to VPN into the "work" network?

"encrypt it as the roaming profile"?  The roaming profile is very
specific files.  If you're talking about using EFS, you have other
concerns as well.

Encrypt it with whatever you like... as I am no expert in encryption, I have
no advice on what to use or not to use.  And, the "encrypt it as the roaming
profile" statement was made with relevance to my overall solution of having
the data housed on the "work" network under a "work" user account.

If you encrypt a user's profile with EFS, the key would have to be on
the machine or the user couldn't get to their profile off the network.

Not the profile, just the data.  And, maybe I'm using the wrong lingo
here... maybe "roaming profile" is not the phrase I'm looking for.  Please
feel free to correct me here... My intent is a profile local to the "work"
network that the user can remote into the network with, so maybe I just need
to say a "VPN account".

If the key is left on the machine, then anyone with physical access to
the machine can reset the admin password, login as the admin, and grab
the user's key and get to the files.

See above.  The whole point of my "rant" was to eliminate the point of
failure that is created by both the presence of sensitive data on the
physical laptop as well as the ease of compromise associated with physical
access to the laptop.

The encryption used should be something other than EFS, and should be on
a directory outside the profile (so copies aren't flung onto the user's
network share).

Okay, I can agree with that.  :-)  See, I'm not so stubborn as to dispute
EVERYTHING.

Basically, the users should be trained, and the plan should be created
by someone who knows what they are doing, and people should stop
pointing fingers when something goes wrong, and instead address the
issues.

Yes, this is the rule whenever a security policy is created in a corporate
environment.  I couldn't agree with you less.  And, maybe I don't completely
know what I'm doing or how I would fix the problem... however, this is a
mailing list, and I am offering bits and pieces.  After all, it is not my
job to fix it... only to fling around ideas and get back input.

Good slam on the Prez, BTW, both pertinent and relevant, and about as
thoughtfully consistent as the rest of your rant.

As I do not like discussing politics (and it would not be relevant in this
mailing list), I will refrain from stating my reasons for disliking Bush.
As for its pertinence and relevance, please refer to the poster before me,
as he posed the question of how Bush defines "data".  Last I checked, that
isn't the President's job so, really, both your comment and my own are
irrelevant and pointless...

As for the thoughtful consistency of my rant, thank you for your input.  You
obviously took the fact that I was suggesting a possible solution rather
than solving the whole problem as inconsistency; if you had looked at my
"rant" as something other than a "juicy retort just waiting to happen", then
you would've realized that I was going in a general direction with it.

Now that we have all of the responding out of the way, can we continue the
discussion in a manner that does not assume that the poster is a moron?
Thanks.  :-)

Isaac Van Name
Network Assistant / Programmer
Southerland, inc.