Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Anti Spyware Standards

From: "Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 15:40:39 -0400

nospam wrote:
rolando_ruiz () jetaviation com wrote:

Hello Security world,

I’m interested in professional opinion on best practices to reduce
spyware/Malware. Currently, we have only the protection of personal
firewalls and IDS which picks up spyware but does not remove it. I
argue that the focus should be on reducing the risk of high level
threat spyware instead of on preventing all of it 100% but it is
difficult to educate CIO and Directors whom do not have much of an
idea or security (in general). If anyone can share information on
steps you may have taken towards this issue successfully, I would be
thankful. It’s good to have different options on the table. ☺

________________________________

Jet Aviation Holdings, Inc.
Rolando Ruiz
113 Charles A Lindbergh Drive
07608 Teterboro / United States
Tel.       +1 (201) 462 - 4094
Fax       +1 (201) 288 - 4892
rolando_ruiz () jetaviation com
www.jetaviation.com

ad-aware from lavasoft
spybot search destroy from spybot.info
spywareblaster from javacoolsoftware.com tighten security zones
install firefox use the advanced spybot -> hosts file to block known
bad hosts spywareblaster blocks quite a lot too

steve - evets

Running a proxy, such as Websense or Surf Control to block unauthorized websites.
Egress filtering
Network Monitoring/logging (check out NTOP or preferred tool)
Running in Least Privilege works to help mitigate adware/spyware as well.

jmb