Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Different terms for the same or more secure?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:40:37 -0700

NO ONE has answered the simple initial question of what is
a VLAN?

  A SWITCH is a box with a bunch of interfaces and a MAC address
table.  For each incoming packet, it records in the table that it
has seen that packet's source MAC address show up at interface X,
and consults the table to see what interface Y it has seen the
destination MAC address from -- if the destination MAC address
isn't in the table, it forwards the packet to all interfaces
except X.  [There's a bit more to it -- spanning tree to detect
and break loops, tools for manually seeding the table, and so on.]

  SOME switches offer a feature of allocating interfaces to groups,
each with its own MAC table.  Effectively, the one big physical
switch is behaving as if it were several smaller switches.  Each one
of those groups is a VLAN.

  If you have several switches in your network, and you connect
group 3 on switch A to group 3 on switch B and group 3 on switch C,
these interconnected groups form a single "group 3" VLAN.  [Oh yeah,
there are some tools for connecting multiple groups on switch A to
the corresponding groups on switch B over a single physical
link.  So we say something like "Which VLANs are on the link from
A to B?"]

  So VLANs allow us to have multiple logical ("virtual") networks
over a single set of physical switches and links.

David Gillett (CCNP, etc)