Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security books, portals, blogs and videos

From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:24:24 -0500

So...you think that simply doing good, hard work will get you recognized and noticed within your company?  Interesting.

In my humble opinion, most (not all, but most) companies today have a slightly different attitude: "get what you can,
as fast as you can".  It says nothing about hard work or "paying your dues" (which is essentially what you are
stipulating).  I agree in that getting more actively involved within ones business organization, participating in the
local communities is a "good thing"; however, there are a few more things (of which, you hit just a few) that many
companies want in security folks today (of which, the TOP 3 factors are "INTERPERSONAL SKILLS"):

1.  Good "people skills".  You pretty much nailed that right on the head.  If you want to be well respected in the
community, you need to be able to interface nicely with other people, and work with all sorts of different mental
capacities.  Most business folks are considered "technically incompetent"; but then again, their focus is business,
marketing and making money for their organization.  As a security analyst or administrator, your job will be to provide
the "cold hard facts" in 30 seconds or less, 15 seconds or less if a summary.

2.  Excellent communications skills.  Just because you can interface with people doesn't mean that you are a good
communicator or presenter.  This is highly important.  This esp. holds true of providing a VERY short report to
management in written form.  The rule of 1/2 page or less still holds true; the more said with less -- the better.

3.  Dress nice and present you in a professional manner.  If you are technically competent, can walk the walk, talk the
talk, but dress like a slob, people won't ever believe you.  Look the part, too.

4.  Be technically competent.  Don't state that you know something, SHOW that you know something.  Obviously, don't do
something of an illegal nature (and nowadays, doing things without doing something illegal is getting more difficult to
pose esp. to management).  Judge your management yourself and state to them that you'd like to try a different venue in
something that (perhaps) combines your current technical skills with something that you'd like to accomplish, such as
security.

5.  Know your audience.  For anything that you do, know the type of audience that you will be catering towards.  The
better the manner that you can cater your message to different audiences, the better for you.

6.  [OPTIONAL] Write whitepapers and publish them (if possible).  This (obviously) is an optional thing, but writing
whitepapers shows just how much you do or don't know about something.  It also shows and demonstrates to people your
critical thinking capabilities.  This step is optional.  If you don't feel comfortable writing whitepapers, this isn't
a "show stopper", but do know that this will provide you with a good practice medium for your target audiences, which
can be anywhere from government officials to corporate executives to front-line managers.  if you want some ideas about
subject to write about, there are plenty of places to read up on them.  A "whitepaper" is nothing more than presenting
ideas or theories without really proving them.  If at all, it shows people that you can be objective about things, or
can thinking differently than most people can.  Here are a few examples from my web site:
http://www.unixworks.net/uw-research.html.

7.  [OPTIONAL] Write a book.  If you have an idea that you'd like to present, and cannot seem to get noticed, write a
book about it.  You won't get rich doing it, but might get that job you've always wanted.  ;))

8.  Get involved with your community.  For starters (and it looks like you've started good by asking questions), get
involved with several online INFOSEC blogs and groups.  Participate in them and be as objective as possible.  Try and
NOT show too much biasness.  Showing a strong or stern biasness gets your ignored, not noticed.  If you are biased
about something, make sure that you have sufficient proof to back your claim.  I generally take the attitude that I am
open to suggestions or alternative solutions PROVIDED THAT the opposing party has an equally objective response.  If
they’re objecting you simply to object you, take notice of it and move on.  There are people out there that nothing
better to do with their time (and you know who you are people -- at least, the NSA does) than to be nitpicky and
criticize anything and everything that others have started doing or stated.

9.  Research, research, research.  Don't be a "book worm".  Practice, practice, practice.  If you have the time and/or
money, build your own research laboratory.  I know that I'm not the only one who has a private research lab.  There are
others out there, like me, who are inquisitive about things, ask ALOT of questions, and do ALOT of reading and
researching.  Remember: Google is your friend.  here are pictures of my lab:
http://srvr1003.unixworks.net/www/unixworks.net/lab.cgi/uw-040722.

10. Have fun.  If you don't do what you do that voodoo that you do, people will notice.  Meaning, if you're in it
strictly for the money and NOT because you enjoy solving problems, making more money, and like helping people out, then
it will show.

I hope that these objectives help out.  If you want to have an offline discussion, send me an email personally, and I
would be more than happy in helping you out.  ;))

Good luck.

-r