Security Basics mailing list archives

security in small business networks

From: robert () bernaerts nl
Date: 8 Sep 2006 17:36:27 -0000

Hi all,

I am quite new to the security fiels, but determined to learn much more knowledge.

i work for a company which supports a lot of rather small-sized businesses (10-50 users).
A lot of those companies i support remotely and periodically i check the servers for all sorts of possible problems.

For security purposes i check the following:
- windows updates
- routers: cisco and draytek
- firewalls: cisco pix
- security logs

My question is, are there other things i can check on servers/workstations i can check out of security purpose ?

Fact is that i want to pursuade my boss there is very much to gain in the security world so i can get a full job in the
security field.

For instance about forensics: could this be a opportunity for us or this only for special public services like police
etc ?

many thanks in advance.

Rob.