Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security incident or operational incident?

From: "sami seclist" <sg.seclists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:40:06 +0200

hello,
Because availability or even continuity in this case came into place,
It can be considered as a security incident.
Protective measures could be adequate training of administrators and
system backup.
Other measures like incident handling, recovery procedures etc...
could help to quickly recover an operational state, and analyse
incident's causes,to avoid repetition.

---
sami

-------------------------------
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 8:05:51 AM+0400, ttate () ctscorp com <ttate () ctscorp com>:
As we all know, the tenets of information security are confidentiality, integrity & >availability. How do you separate out an operational
incident from a security incident? For >example, is it a security incident or operational incident when an admin accidentally >deletes an OU in AD
containing users or computers when working in the GPO >management console? The admin is authorized to perform all and any tasks in AD. In this
>case by deleting the OU, the users no longer had access to the system, hence the >availability tenet comes into play. But the issue was not
caused by some malicious intent >but by a perceived flaw in the Microsoft application. Who would think that you could delete >OU's in the GPO
management console?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Regards,
Troy