Security Basics mailing list archives

Security incident or operational incident?

From: ttate () ctscorp com
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 8:05:51 AM+0400

As we all know, the tenets of information security are confidentiality, integrity & availability. How do you separate
out an operational incident from a security incident? For example, is it a security incident or operational incident
when an admin accidentally deletes an OU in AD containing users or computers when working in the GPO management
console? The admin is authorized to perform all and any tasks in AD. In this case by deleting the OU, the users no
longer had access to the system, hence the availability tenet comes into play. But the issue was not caused by some
malicious intent but by a perceived flaw in the Microsoft application. Who would think that you could delete OU's in
the GPO management console?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Regards,
Troy