Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: cymphonix

From: Peter Fuggle <peterf () securepay com au>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:18:38 +1000

After a brief look it appears that the "appliance" you reference is, in reality, just a Linux or BSD box, as most of them are. ie. A moderately talented sysadmin could run up the same functionality in a relatively short space of time for hardware cost alone. I suspect that you'll pay oodles for the "seamless integration", GUI interface and 1337 looking (but it's not red!) case. And then there'll be the ongoing signature subscription fees... A colleague of mine used to say "It's nice to have people pay you for doing work. But it's even nicer to have people pay you for doing nothing!". This company adheres to that philosophy I think. I could be harsh and say that these boxes are for admins who are too stupid to use tcpdump, Snort and Perl etc. to snoop on users' IM...but I won't, because I don't condone snooping on IM anyway.

Cheers,

Peter

Francois Yang wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here as played with the Cymphonix products
(www.cymphonix.com), especially the DC30X and can give me some feed
back.
I've looked around on google for similal products with the same
functions, but couldn't find any.  I usually don't like the all in one
appliances, but this one doesn't look too bad.
The reviews I've seen doesn't seem to be too bad and I've also
attended the web demo.  I just wanted to see what everyone else here
tought about it and if there are other products that are better if not
comparable.

Thanks.

Frank.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus