Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Article / Document about passwords vs. passphrases

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:36:16 -0800

On 10/30/06, Florian Rommel <frommel () gmail com> wrote:
<snip>
I was told that Windows vista will not let you use (SPACE) in your
password , can someone confirm or deny this?

This seems quite absurd. I've been using spaces in my passwords for
years on Windows, up to and including Win2k3 - for MSFT to degrade
password functionality in this away would be madness far surpassing
their norm.

also someone said that
only the most recent version of linux allow you to have long
passwords, according to my memory, this has worked already for a
looong time (i remember i used a long password quite a few years back
already) so any info on that would be good too. Any pointer as to how
to improve this article would be excellent since quite a few of the
people I know use my stuff as reference and I wouldnt like to be
"that" wrong :)

Can't speak to Linux, but my FreeBSD installations have, for the 5+
years I've been using them, have allowed me passwords as long as I
wanted - certainly longer than 8 characters.

Kurt