Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to create security awareness in top management

From: "Alexander Bolante" <alexander.bolante () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:30:47 -0700

Is governance, legal and regulatory compliance a business driver for
Top Management? If so, you should consider including them in your
preso:

- SOX
- HIPAA
- Gramm Leach Bliley
- European Data Protection Directive
- etc.

Definitely mention factoids about information security like "it
remains a top 5 CIO issue" or pull some latest statistics from
Gartner, Forrester, etc.

Information security is a set of activities driven by business policy
that minimize the business costs (risk) of damage to information
assets in all forms. You may also want to talk more about activities
of secure information handling and provide relevant examples:

Authentication: I know who I am talking to.
Administration: I can set the rules.
Authorization: I can enforce the rules.
Availability: The system is there when I need it.
Asset Protection: I can prevent modification/disclosure in transit or
in storage.
Accountability: I know who did what and when.
Assurance/Auditability: The system is working the way I think it is,
and I can prove it.

The other elements suggested by the rest of this forum are a great
start for you. Good luck!

Cheers!
Alexander